As a Resident your lifestyle includes responsibilities such as: ongoing debt, a spouse and or dependents who are relying on your income among other things. These factors makes NOW the perfect time to arrange protection that keeps pace with your life and career, safeguarding you and your family’s future.
Protecting your ability to earn an income is the first step to securing your financial future. Disability Insurance is the most important coverage you can have. Group Association Disability Plans do not offer medical professionals the long-term guarantees they need to protect their lifetime income. Group Association Plans can be cancelled and premiums do increase over time.
Disability insurance plan feature includes:
- Plans that grow with you. Your Disability Insurance will keep pace with your needs throughout your residency and transition with you into professional practice;
- Premium Discounts. You will receive lifetime premium discount up to age 65;
- Non-Cancellable. The insurer cannot cancel your Disability insurance plan for any reason;
- Premiums guaranteed not to change.
- Resident $4,000/month
- Fellowship – $8,000/month
- First year practicing physician – $7,000/month
- First year practicing physician in a specialty – $10,000/month
You are eligible to receive full disability insurance benefits if you are unable to attend a full-time undergraduate medical school program as a result of sickness or injury, are under the regular care of a physician and are not engaged in any gainful occupation.
The partial disability insurance benefit can help ease you back to medical school on a part-time basis, while under the regular care of a physician. You are considered to be partially disabled, if as a result of sickness or injury, you can only attend medical school at least one half the time normally required.
You don’t have to be totally disabled to receive benefits. In the first 36 months of partial disability, you will receive 50% of your monthly benefit. After 36 months you will receive 25% of your monthly benefit.
You will qualify for full disability insurance benefits if you totally and irrecoverably lose the power of either speech, sight in both eyes, hearing in both ears or use of both hands or both feet.
If you die during a period of disability for which the EP has been completed and Monthly Disability Income Benefits are payable, a survivor benefit of three times the last month’s disability benefit is payable to your estate.
Accumulation of Days for Waiting Period:
To satisfy the waiting period, non-consecutive days of disability, which results from the
same or related cause, may be accumulated, provided no two periods of disability are separated by more than 24 months.
Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) rider.
Allows your monthly disability benefit to increase once you have been disabled for 12 consecutive months, in accordance with the Consumer Price Index, and subject to an annual maximum of up to 10%.
Future Income Option (FIO) rider
Allows your disability insurance coverage increase by up to $2,500 every year until age 55 without you having to provide medical evidence.
Own Occupation rider
Professionals or people with specialized skills may find this rider policy beneficial as it eliminates the ‘Any Occupation Test’ and provides the disabled individual with long term disability benefits as long as he/she is unable to perform the essential duties of their own occupation or until age 65, whichever is sooner.
Health Care Profession
You will be considered totally disabled due to sickness if, you are infected with HIV, Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C infection, and as a direct result, a licensing body prohibits you: from performing one or more of the substantial duties of your regular occupation, or you are required to disclose an infected condition to patients.
- Guaranteed contract, contract cannot be cancelled or changed.
- Guaranteed premiums until age 65 (Your premiums will not increase with age.)
- No reduction of benefits if your income is reduced or of you receive benefits elsewhere
- Return to work assistance program
- Worldwide portability (you don’t have to maintain membership with an association or group to have coverage)
If you had a pre-existing condition within the 24 months prior to coverage being inforce and the disability is related to a pre-existing condition and begins within 24 months after the coverage is in effect, then that condition would not be covered. However, if there are no claims after two years, all conditions are covered.
No benefits are payable for disability:
- Resulting from declared or undeclared war;
- Resulting from injuries sustained or sickness contracted while in the military services of any country at war, whether such war be declared or undeclared;
- Resulting from normal pregnancy and/or childbirth; or
- Any period of imprisonment or confinement in a similar institution.
We are your trusted insurance experts. Our team of advisors have experience working with OMA group association plans and individual insurance plans. Making us the truly unbiased insurance solutions source for Residents.
Whatever your insurance needs are; we have the experience and expertise working with Residents and we can help.
Contact us for your consultation.